Click for Jamestown, Virginia Forecast

Friday, March 13, 2009

Chicago, Illinois, United States

Last week, I included a poll to let you guys decide which city I write about this week. It ended up being a 3 way tie. My 8 year old daughter got to be the tie breaker. Her decision was based on the fact one of her teachers was born in...Chicago. The winner this week is Chi-Town!

Chicago is also known as the Windy City. Why? I don't know. I searched the web and couldn't find a definitive reason for it. I always thought it was because it was on the edge of Lake Michigan. Lake Michigan is one of the five Great Lakes on the northern border of the United States. Lake Superior, Lake Huron, Lake Erie and Lake Ontario are the other four great lakes in case you were wondering. Lake Michigan is the only one completely surrounded by the United States. The other four lie on the border between the United States and Canada.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Chicago had an estimated population of 2,833,321 in 2006. This puts Chicago as the 3rd most populous city in the U.S. behind New York and Los Angeles. In 2000, 21.7% of the residents of Chicago were foreign born.

There is plenty to see while in Chicago. It is home to the famous Sears Tower. According to the Sears Tower website: "Standing at 1,450 feet and 110 stories high, Sears Tower is the tallest building in North America and the third tallest building in the world." I imagine it is quite an impressive building to see. There is also the Shedd Aquarium, Art Institute of Chicago, Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry and the John Hancock Observatory. Admission to all of these attractions can be purchased separately or at a discount by purchasing the Chicago City Pass.

I can't write about Chicago without mentioning Wrigley Field. It has been the home to the Chicago Cubs since 1914. And, of course, there are the Chicago Bulls. Here's a shout out to all the Michael Jordan fans. He played for the Chicago Bulls from 1984 to 1998. Chicago is also home to the Chicago Bears football team, the Chicago White Sox Major League Baseball team (yes, Chicago has two MLB teams) and the Chicago Blackhawks National Hockey League team.

My pick of the week for lodging is the House of Two Urns. I've never been there but it has a catchy name, the pictures at the website look good and the price is right. You can get a room for around $100 a night.

Don't forget to vote in the poll for next week!

P.S. Choo-Choo! I just had to say that because I really wanted to write about Chattanooga this week. I'll just have to save it until the next C week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very well written article and seemed like you were talking to me at a table. Your daughter is a good tie breaker.

Anonymous said...

I have been to Chicago numerous times. It is my favorite city to visit. If you have a weekend to spend, I would recommend Downtown Chicago. Be sure to visit Brookfield Zoo